16 February 2010

Return to Coronation Street healed my pain, says Boyzone's Keith Duffy

7th February 2010

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-interviews/2010/02/07/return-to-coronation-street-healed-my-pain-says-boyzone-s-keith-duffy-86908-22025303/

KEITH DUFFY has dried his tears. It's four months since his Boyzone bandmate Stephen Gately died and while he won't ever forget, he can look forward without his eyes misting over.

The singer and actor has returned to the public eye in Coronation Street as Irish charmer Ciaran McCarthy and he credits the soap with helping him deal with losing a best pal.

He said: "Stephen died on October 10, 2009. I've been back in Coronation Street since the end of November and those weeks in between were possibly the worst of my life. Having this gig gave me something else to focus on. It was a saving grace.

There are still days when I can't believe he's gone."

Keith, 35, had known Stephen since they joined Boyzone with coming Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch and Mikey Graham and were managed by Louis Walsh. He died from heart failure aged just 33 while on holiday in Majorca with partner Andy Cowles.

In March, release new single I Gave It All Away, featuring Stephen's vocals, and Keith believes his late friend had a hand in picking what will be their tribute song.

He said: "This was one of his favourites. We weren't able to release it two and half years ago due to political reasons. It landed on our laps a week after he died which was bizarre but we all took it as a sign from him it should be released.

"He sings beautifully and the words to it are uncanny in relating to our situation at the moment."

Friendship is something Keith takes seriously and it played a major role in his return to Weatherfield as Peter Barlow's wayward ex-navy mate Ciaran, both behind the scenes and in front of the cameras.

It's been five years since he was last on the show when Shelley Unwin's mother Bev made a drunken pass at home but he has stayed in touch with many of his former colleagues.

He said: "Whenever Boyzone have played in Manchester I'd send an invite down to Corrie. A few people would come to the show and we'd have a drink after it. There was a lot of talk about Ciaran coming back and here I am."

Ciaran's return has meant teaming up once again with Chris Gascoyne, who plays Peter, an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon again. The actor went out of his way to help Ciaran his first time round on the cobbles.

He said: "He's been a true warrior for me and I think it sh ows on screen. We are very comfortable with each other.

"Nobody's happy to see Ciaran back except Peter. He's known for liking a drink and being a ladies man and everyone thinks he's going to help Peter fall of the wagon again but it's the opposite. He tries to help him - not very successfully, I might add. Ciaran has a good heart, he's just a bit of a nutcase."

While Keith is enjoying his return as the roving ladies' man in Weatherfield, he has hopes of a meatier role in the future.

In his absence from the soap, Keith, who is married to Lisa, and has two children Jordan, 13, and Mia, nine, has worked hard at acting - on stage and on TV in Ireland. He's a better actor than w he n h e first started and is keen to show off the results.

He said: "Seven years ago I was coming out of a job I had been in since I was a kid. I was travelling round the world with four other guys and had a great sense of security. Going out on my own and doing a job like Coronation Street which is in so many people's living rooms four nights a week - especially my own family's - was daunting.

"This time round, there's no comparison. There's a massive difference in experience, ability and understanding of the trade. I thought I could give the job a better crack this time."

Keith's in Coronation Street for at least six months and, apart from being separated from his Dublin-based family, is relishing his return. Whether or not it turns into an extended run is out of his hands, as is the decision on whether he would accept any such offer.

He said: "The decision to come into Coronation Street wasn't a decision I took alone. I sat down with the lads and told them what I wanted to do and they gave me their blessing.

"We've lost a member of the band and I don't think we could go any further if the four of us weren't all in agreement.

"I love being in the band but I love being on Corrie. I need this. This is the individual, independent part of my life and we all need that.

"The downside is that my family are in Dublin. The kids miss their daddy but I get home at the weekend and make sure we spend quality time together. You just have to play with the hand you're dealt. And to be fair, my hand is a pretty good one."

No comments:

Post a Comment